Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What's Easy?

So later that night, I was telling N that I was so proud of him for working so hard on his homework and working so hard at school.  He responded, "Homework is hard."   I'm not sure whether he understood my compliments to him or whether I understood what he meant, but his answer made me want to explore what he feels is easy for him.

"What is easy for you?"
"Drawing,"  he was pretty fast in his response to that. 
"What else?"
"Playground," he said after a few seconds (which I'm sure he meant "playing.")
"Is there anything else that is easy?"
He seems to think a little and then says "No."

I then asked him, "What is hard for you?" 
"School," he instantaneously says. 
"Which part?"
"All of it."

Sigh.  I am sad.   For myself because as a former "A" student and teacher, this was such a big part of what I remember and wanting to share the same zeal with him.  On another level, I'm even more sad for him that 9-10 hours (this includes homework time) of his day is spent doing something he does not like.  But I think school is not everybody's cup of tea.  And I think, in the larger picture, life is hard.  Which part?  All of it.  For me it has been and probably for most other people too.

I hope that both of my sons can keep up their perseverance and me too.  We have different battles, but I realize that we all need to keep on going.  I hope that it gets easier...   

       

No comments:

Post a Comment